Camping can be a lot of fun, but there are also some real risks associated with going on an adventure in the wild. Whether you’re using a tent, a cabin or rental RV vans in Salt Lake City, UT, you’ll want to make sure you heed some important safety advice before your trip begins.
Here are some of our top safety tips for camping, no matter if you head north, south, east or west!
- Steer clear of wildlife: No matter where you go, there are sure to be wild animals roaming near your campsite. Make sure you understand what animals are common for the area you’re camping in and know the risks associated with them. If you do see an animal, stay far away to avoid injury from an attack.
- Learn about plant life: The plants you will encounter in the wild could be toxic or poisonous, so you should know which ones are safe and which are not. Look out for poison ivy or sumac. Additionally, never eat plants or fruits found in the wild to avoid illness.
- Park your camper securely: If you’re traveling in a rental RV van near Salt Lake City, UT, make sure you find a safe and secure location to park it. Avoid camping too close to cliffs or steep hills, and always make sure you’re parked legally and not on private property.
- Stay hydrated: When camping, you’ll be exposed to the elements—particularly sunshine and heat. You’ll want to remember to drink lots of water, as well as practice safe hydration. Not all bodies of water are safe to drink from, so bring water filtration or sanitization systems along with you.
- Use sun protection: The sun can be deadly in places like the desert, so make sure you’re protecting yourself by wearing sunscreen, sleeves and hats. Overexposure to sun can cause burns, dehydration and heat illness.
- Pack a first aid kit: When you’re hiking, swimming and exploring, you might run into some trouble with an injury. If you aren’t prepared with a first aid kit, your injury could get even worse and potentially leave you stranded. Make sure to pack bandages, compression wraps, antibiotic ointment and pain medication.
- Come prepared: It’s easy to get lost in an unfamiliar area of the wilderness—especially when your cell phone signal is limited or non-existent. You’ll want to prepare ahead of time by bringing maps, a compass and potentially a GPS system to help you navigate. Additionally, don’t forget emergency items like flashlights or headlamps, batteries, extra clothes and blankets.
- Check the weather: The weather can be unpredictable at times, so make sure you’re checking the forecast leading up to your trip so you can pack appropriately. You don’t want to get stuck in a thunderstorm or cold front wearing only a tank top and shorts!
If you’re ready to head out on your next adventure, Kellville Vans has what you need to be prepared. Browse our selection of rental RV vans in Salt Lake City, UT and discuss trip planning with our staff of local camping experts. We have everything you need for a successful trip!
Categorised in: RV Rentals